What is SOAP UI?
SOAP UI is the world's leading open source cross-platform Functional testing tool for Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) and Representational state transfers (REST) testing. It is an API (Application Program Interface) testing tool that has a very simple and easy-to-use graphical interface, and enterprise-class features that enables both technical and non-technical users to use the tool seamlessly. This tool allows testers to execute automated functional, regression, compliance, and load tests on all different kinds of Web API.
Why to use SOAP UI?
1. To create quick and efficient API tests
2. To create API functional testing, and non-functional testing such as performance and security tests.
3. To create API Testing automation framework
Features of SOAP UI -
1. Functional Testing
- It is a very powerful tool that enables testers to write Functional API Tests in SoapUI.
- It provides a code free testing environment that helps to enhance the productivity. It's Drag and Drop feature helps to expedite the development of the script.
- It allows testers to develop data driven tests and supports test debugging.
- It provides flexibility to switch between multiple environments such as QA, Development and Production environments.
- One of its features enables testers to develop their own custom code depending on the scenario, hence allowing advanced scripting or user-defined scripting.
2. Security Testing
- It helps in protecting your services on websites against the most common security vulnerabilities by performing a complete set of vulnerability scan.
- It helps in securing the databases by preventing SQL Injection.
- Documents huge in size can cause instability, makes your systems inaccessible or make your system an attack vector. Performing XML Bomb Scan will prevent your system from being vulnerable to stack overflows.
- It also scans for Cross Site Scripting, which usually occurs when service parameters are exposed in messages.
- It performs Fuzzing scan and Boundary scan to avoid inconsistent behavior of the services.
3. Load Testing
- It allows for distributing the Load Tests across a large number of loadUI Agents.
- It can quickly and easily simulate high volume and real-world load testing.
- To capture performance parameters, it allows for advanced custom reporting.
- It supports End-to-End System Performance Monitoring.
4. Supported Protocols/Technologies:
SOAP UI has the most comprehensive support for a wide range of protocols -
SOAP – Simple Object Access Protocol
WSDL – Web Service Definition Language
REST – Representational State Transfer
HTTP – Hyper Text Transmission Protocol
HTTPS – Hyper Text Transmission Protocol Secured
AMF – Action Message Format
JDBC – Java Database Connectivity
JMS – Java Messaging Service
5. SOAP Integration with Other Automation Tools:
Apache Maven Project - Apache Maven is a software project management and comprehension tool that can manage a project’s build, reporting and documentation from a central piece of information. Maven can also execute SOAPUI tests within Maven Build using simple commands.
HUDSON - HUDSON is a Java based open source Continuous integration tool. It supports and integrates with tools such as CVS, Subversion, Git, Perforce, ClearCase, and RTC. SOAPUI also integrates with HUDSON, which helps us to spot bugs quickly for each and every commit by the developers.
JUnit - JUnit is a Unit Testing open source framework for Java programming language. It can help control the flow of tests from SOAPUI as well.
Apache Ant - Apache Ant is a Java library and a command-line tool that helps in building software. We can execute tests within an ANT Automated Build using SOAP UIs Command line.
Comparison of SOAP UI with other popular API testing tools - Postman and Katalon Studio
Postman - is also one of the popular automation tools for API testing. It can be installed as a browser extension or as a desktop application on Mac, Linux, and Windows. It is used not only by automation testers for API tests but also by developers for developing and validating APIs.
Katalon Studio - Katalon Studio is an integrated environment to generate and execute API, Web-based GUI, desktop and mobile apps automation tests. Katalon Studio provides a unique environment for both testers and developers to perform API and Web automation tests by integrating Selenium and Appium engines with all needed components, built-in keywords, and templates.
Comparison of SOAP UI with Selenium -
Selenium - Selenium is an open-source automated testing framework used to validate web applications across different browsers and platforms. Multiple programming languages such as Java, C#, Python etc. is used to create Selenium Test Scripts. Testing done using the Selenium testing tool is usually referred to as Selenium Testing.
SOAP UI is only used for Web API or Webservice Testing. It is not used for User Interface Testing.
Selenium is used for User Interface Testing.
SOAP UI can test the protocols or technologies such as REST, SOAP.
Selenium cannot test protocols, but they can test UI behavior.
Able to perform Functional, Load and Security Testing.
Selenium can perform only Functional Testing, Performance Testing to some extent but certainly cannot be used for Security Testing.
SOAP UI is Protocol dependent not browser dependent.
Selenium depends on browser capabilities.
In conclusion, SOAP UI has been one of the most popular and powerful API testing tools that has been widely cited as a top choice among the developers and testers for their API testings due to its advanced features and easy to use interface.