What is software testing?
· Software testing is an activity to check whether the actual results match the Expected results and to ensure that the software system is defect free.
· It is a process to identify the correctness, completeness and quality of developed computer software.
Why we need Testing?
· To ensure the Quality of the Product.
· To make sure of the customers reliability and their satisfaction in the application.
· To ensure that the application should not result into any failures because it can be very expensive in the future or in the later stages of the development.
Types of testing:
ü Manual Testing: Execute the test cases by manually ie. Without using any automated tool or any script.
ü Automation Testing: which is a test automation, is when the tester scripts and uses another software to test the product.it is used to re-run the test scenarios that were performed manually, quickly and repeatedly.
When to Automate?
· Large and critical projects.
· Availability of time.
· Projects that require testing the same areas frequently.
How to Automate?
There are many tools available that can be used to write automation scripts.
API (APPLICATION PROGRAMMING INTERFACE) is the way of communication between two applications, where applications may differ in their platforms or in terms of technology.
TYPES OF API:
1) Simple Object Access Protocol(SOAP)
2) REST (Representational State Transfer)
SOAP UI INTRODUCTION INSTALLATION ON WINDOWS: SOAP UI is a tool available in Two versions and its official website is Soapui.org: one is Open source and another one is Professional which is also called as SOAPUI true version. Or Ready API. When you just go to the end of the page and click to Download SOAP UI open source. When you start to download the SOAP UI, will get the .exe file and click on it to install the SOAP UI. We need to select some options when installing and by default the tutorial will be selected and click on the next and install the SOAP UI Setup.
How to create a SOAP project in SOAPUI using WSDL?
1. After Installing the tool, we could see the Project and select the New SOAP Project. To create a SOAP project, first we need to have a WSDL (Web Service Description Language) document which is in the XML format. The project name can be anything like calculator_soap. For Example, do try this URL in the google which is basically contain all the SOAP services and this is an input to create a SOAP Project.
2. This is now ready with a Calculator Project as shown below. Next clicking on the SOAP or Projects-> Create New SOAP Project and asks to provide a Project name as any name and Initial WSDL to be given as the above URL and click OK.
3. Once done, it is importing all the web services and creates a new project like the above image. Now clicking on the calculator SOAP
4. click on the ADD under the Calculator Soap and + Request1, will open a window as Request1 XML. As shown above , enter the value for IntA and intB in the request1 XML and click on the Horizontal submit XML to be opened in the second window in the response XML file. For Example, IntA given as 4 and IntB given as 5 and clicking on the Green bar on top of request XML, the Response XML gives the Output of adding is 9.
5. We can try on the requests of add, subtract, multiply and divide which is the input to be given as needed and the output will be opened as the second window. Similarly We can do other operations also.
This is a simple way to get started with API testing. These are not the test cases, these are just the API request. Now we have to
o create testsuite and testcases
o Run the test cases
o How to add assertions (validation points) and so on. We will continue to Know the rest with next blog on how to do the testcases.